Monday, February 23, 2015

Business Letters. Useful Phrases



Useful Phrases
Salutation
·         Dear Mr Brown
·         Dear Ms White
·         Dear Sir
·         Dear Sirs
·         Dear Madam
·         Dear Sir or Madam
·         Gentlemen

Starting
·         We are writing to inform you that ...
                      to confirm ...
                      to request ...
                      to enquire about ...
·         I am contacting you for the following reason.
·         I recently read/heard about  . . . and would like to know . . .
·         Having seen your advertisement in ... , I would like to ...
·         I would be interested in (obtaining/receiving) ...
·         I received your address from ...      and would like to   ...
·         I am writing to tell you about ...

Referring to previous contact
·         Thank you for your letter of March 15 ...
·         Thank you for contacting us.
·         In reply to your request ...
·         Thank you for your letter regarding ...
·         With reference to our telephone conversation yesterday ...
·         Further to our meeting last week ...
·         It was a pleasure meeting you in London last month.
·         I enjoyed having lunch with you last week in Tokyo.
·         I would just like to confirm the main points we discussed on Tuesday . . .

Making a request
·         We would appreciate it if you would ...
·         I would be grateful if you could...
·         Could you please send me . . .
·         Could you possibly tell us/let us have...
·         In addition, I would like to receive ...
·         It would be helpful if you could send us ...
·         I am interested in (obtaining/receiving...)
·         I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.
·         Please let me know what action you propose to take.

  Offering help
·         We would be happy to ...
·         Would you like us to ...
·         We are quite willing to ...
·         Our company would be pleased to ...

Giving good news
·         We are pleased to announce that ...
·         I am delighted to inform you that ...
·         You will be pleased to learn that ...

Giving bad news
·         We regret to inform you that ...
·         I'm afraid it would not be possible to ...
·         Unfortunately we cannot/we are unable to ...
·         After careful consideration we have decided (not) to…

 Complaining
·         I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with ...
·         I am writing to complain about ...
·         Please note that the goods we ordered on (date) have not yet arrived.
·         We regret to inform you that our order n°--- is now considerably overdue.
·         I would like to query the transport charges which seem unusually high. 

Apologizing
·         We are sorry for the delay in replying ...
·         I regret any inconvenience caused
·         I would like to apologize for (the delay/the inconvenience) ...
·         Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience….

Orders
·         Thank you for your quotation of ...
·         We are pleased to place an order with your company for ...
·         We would like to cancel our order n°...    
·         Please confirm receipt of our order.
·         I am pleased to acknowledge receipt of your order n°...
·         Your order will be processed as quickly as possible.
·         It will take about (three) weeks to process your order.
·         We can guarantee delivery before ...
·         Unfortunately these articles are no longer available/are out of stock.

Prices
·         Please send us your price list.
·         You will find enclosed our most recent catalogue and price list.
·         Please note that our prices are subject to change without notice.
·         We have pleasure in enclosing a detailed quotation.
·         We can make you a firm offer of ...
·         Our terms of payment are as follows :

Referring to payment
·         Our records show that we have not yet received payment of ...
·         According to our records ...
·         Please send payment as soon as possible.
·         You will receive a credit note for the sum of
    
Enclosing documents
·         I am enclosing ...
·         Please find enclosed ...
·         You will find enclosed ...

Closing remarks
·         If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know
·         If I can help in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me
·         If you require more information ...
·         For further details ...
·         Thank you for taking this into consideration
·         Thank you for your help.
·         We hope you are happy with this arrangement.
·         We hope you can settle this matter to our satisfaction.

 Referring to future business
·         We look forward to a successful working relationship in the future
·         We would be (very) pleased to do business with your company.
·         I would be happy to have an opportunity to work with your firm.

Referring to future contact
·         I look forward to seeing you next week
·         Looking forward to hearing from you
·         "           "      to receiving your comments
·         I look forward to meeting you on the 15th
·         I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience.  
·         An early reply would be appreciated.

Ending business letters

·         Yours faithfully,
·         Sincerely,          }
·         Yours sincerely, } (for all customers/clients)
·         Sincerely yours, }
·         Regards,             (for those you already know and/or
                                   with whom you already have a working relationship.)

No comments:

Post a Comment