Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Formal English. Functions : Asking a Favour, Asking for Approval, Asking People to Wait


Asking a Favour
  • Can you give me a hand with this?
  • Could you help me for a second?
  • Can I ask a favour?
  • I wonder if you could help me with this?
  • I could do with some help, please.
  • I can’t manage. Can you help?
  • Give me a hand with this, will you?
  • Lend me a hand with this, will you?
  • Could you spare a moment?
  • I need some help, please.
Asking for Approval
  • Do you think it’s all right to do it?
  • What do you think about (me doing that)?
  • Do you think / reckon I ought to (do it)?
  • What would you say if I (did it)?
  • Would you approve of (doing something)?
  • What is your attitude to the idea of…
  • Are you in favour of (me doing something)?
  • You are in favour of … aren’t you?
  • Do you think anyone would mind if I…
  • Do you think it would be really awful if I..
Asking People to Wait
  • Hang on a moment / a mo.
  • Give us a second.
  • Half a moment / a mo.
  • I’ll be right with you.
  • Sorry, I’m a bit tied up right now.
  • Wait and see.
  • You’ll just have to be patient.
  • Give me a chance.
  • Don’t be so impatient.
  • We wish to apologize for the delay 

No comments:

Post a Comment