Monday, March 24, 2014

Emphasis in English. Part I

 I do like English.

There are several ways to add emphasis to your sentences in English. You use emphasis when when you are expressing your opinions, disagreeing, making strong suggestions, expressing annoyance, etc.

Today we will see the emphatic do.

We normally use the auxiliary do/does (present) or did (past) in negative and interrogative sentences.

I don't like football.                         Dou you like foobootball?                     
She doesn't speak English.                Does she speak English?
He doesn't love you.                        Does he love you?
They don't watch TV on weekdays.    Do they watch TV on weekdays?
We didn't see the film.                     Did you see the film?

However, we use it in affirmative sentences when we want to place strong emphasis on what we are saying to show that we feel strongly about it in a positive way. In all these cases, do/does/did is pronounced with strong stress

You don't like fooball, do you? -  I do like football. In fact, I love it.
She doesn't speak English.      -  She does speak English. She's from London.
He didn't invite us.                 -  He did invite you, but you ignored him.

 Examples and their tranlation into Spanish:
1.- Naturally, we don't always have horses available that are already trained and ready for Grand  Prix participation immediately, but we do have them on occasion.
hesselhof.com
Como es lógico, no siempre tenemos caballos de categoría Grand-Prix adiestrados que estén ya listos para la competición, pero sí con cierta frecuencia.

2.- I really do like to share my stories and experience with my peers.  familychildcaresf.org
    Realmente me gusta compartir mis historias y experiencias con mis compañeros.

3.- I don't know if there's a measure of how many of them resonate as passionately as I do, but they do listen. ourplanet.com
No sé si es posible medir la cantidad de personas que sienten tan apasionadamente como yo, pero el hecho es que escuchan.

 

Further information:

Activities:





No comments:

Post a Comment