Wednesday, March 12, 2014

English on the phone


Common telephone phrases

Answering the phone:
Good morning/afternoon Lemons & Oranges Ltd. How can I help you?

Connecting a caller: 
I'll put you through now.
One moment please.

Explaining there's a problem:
I'm sorry, but the line's engaged at the moment.
I'm sorry. There's no reply.
I'm sorry, but he/she's out of the office at the moment.
I'm afraid he/she's on the other line at the moment.

Offering help:
Would you like to hold?
Is there anyone else who could help you?
Can I take a message?
Maybe I can help you?

Offer a return call:
Perhaps he/she can call you back?
Could he/she call you back?

Offering to take a message:
Can I take a message for him/her?
Would you like to leave a message?

Asking for the caller's name and number:
Could I have your name and number, please?
Could you give me your name and number, please?

Checking the information:
Could you spell that, please?
Can I just check that again, please?
Could you repeat that, please?

Asking for someone:
Good morning/afternoon. Could I speak to (Ms Printer), please?
Could I have extension (238), please?

Giving a message:
Could you tell (him/her) that (I will be late?).
Could you tell (him/her) that I called.
Could you give (him/her) my number, please?

Giving your name and number :
My name is (David Bean) and I'm on (034 56294658).
It's (David Bean) and the number is (034 56294658).

No comments:

Post a Comment