Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Expressing Permission

PERMISSION 
CAN, COULD, MAY, are all used in asking permission:  
Can I use the phone?
Could I borrow your car? (polite)
May I come in? (more formal)
Might I speak to you? (very polite- old-fashioned.  
Use only can/can't when giving or denying premission. 
Could I stay out late tonight? No, you can't.  
BE ALLOWED TO  It’s used when talking about permission, but not when you are asking for it or giving it.  
You are not allowed to use calculators in exams.
It was only after several months that I was allowed to visit her
They have not been allowed to come.

 

Practice: Rewrite the sentences:
  1. Do you mind if I sit down?                                              
  2. I’d like to go to the concert, please.                                           
  3. I’d like to speak next. Is it all right if......                       
  4. It’s all right to have visitors after three o’clock (ALLOWED)
  5. I’ll let you use my pen until I need it.                               

Solutions:


1. Can/May I sit down?
2. Can/Could I go to the concert?
3.Is it all right if I speak next?
4.Visitors are allowed after three o'clock.
5. You can use my pen until I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment