Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Stative verbs


Stative verbs are verbs that show a state and not an action.They do not take the -ing form.
For Example:
I like ice cream. (Never "I am liking...")
I know a lot of English words. (Never "I am knowing...")
Now I understand what you mean.
The baby weighs ten kilos now.

You can group verbs that show a state in the following ways:

Senses
feel, see, sound, hear, smell, taste
Thoughts
believe, consider, depend, doubt, forget, guess, hope, imagine, know, prefer, realise, remember, suppose, think, mean
Emotions
dislike, like, need, hate, love, want, wish, fear
Relationships and possession

belong to, depend on, own, have, possess, owe
States
appear, seem, look
Measurements
cost, measure, equal, weigh

Some stative verbs have continuous forms but with a difference in meaning

STATE
ACTION
She thinks she’s very pretty. (opinion)
He’s thinking about it (considering)
What does it taste like? (flavour)
He’s tasting the soup. (to see if it’s good)
We have a dog. (own, possess)
We’re having dinner (eating)
The silk feels soft. ( it has a soft texture)
She’s feeling the dog’s fur (touching)
Do you see what I mean? (understand)
I see the moon.  (involuntary action)
We’re seeing Jack on Monday (meeting)
It smells of burnt bread. (it has the smell)
She’s smelling the flowers.
I love good films. (like in general)
I’m loving the film (enjoying specifically)
It looks as if it’s going to rain. (appears)
He’s looking at me
This isn’t heavy. It doesn’t weigh a lot.
He’s weighing the baby on the scales.
The child is naughty. (character)
The child is being naughty.  (misbehaving)
The jeans fit her perfectly. (right size)
We’re fitting the carpet on the floor.(laying)

Now check what you've learnt.
 Do the activities



No comments:

Post a Comment