Thursday, July 9, 2015

Idioms with BLUE

blue blood (the blood of a noble or wealthy or aristocratic family
Many of the blue bloods of the town went to the opening of the opera.

blue in the face (to be very angry or upset, to be excited and very emotional)
I argued with my supervisor until I was blue in the face.

blue-ribbon (of superior quality or distinction, the best of a group)
A blue-ribbon panel of experts were asked to suggest a new policy for the city.

get the blues (to become sad or depressed)
The dull cloudy weather has caused me to get the blues.

have the blues (to be sad or depressed)
The man next door seems to have the blues.

out of the blue (without warning, happening suddenly and unexpectedly)
Out of the blue, my friend decided to stop using Facebook.
The decision to close the store came out of the blue.

talk a blue streak (to talk very much and very rapidly)
The woman beside me on the bus talked a blue streak for most of the journey.

talk until one is blue in the face (to talk until one is exhausted)
I talked until I was blue in the face but I could not change my teacher's opinion about my essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment