Sunday, January 3, 2016

How to talk about resolutions, plans and hopes

 You've got a year ahead

Going to
Tell about things that are going to happen to you or to your family members in certain months of the new year. 
For example:
I’m going to move to a new apartment in January.
My brother is going to get married in February.


Adverbs
How do you plan to improve? What will you do better? more carefully? faster? slower?
For example:
I’m going to work harder.
I’m going to do my homework more carefully.


Gerunds and Infinitives
Stopping bad habits and starting good ones are some of the most common resolutions. Express them using gerunds or infinitives.
For example:
I’m going to start eating healthier food.  (Good for you!)
I’m going to start to eat healthier food.  (Excellent!)
I’m going to stop eating junk food.  (Very good!)

I’m going to stop to eat junk food.  (Very bad!)
Here are some other words for New Year’s resolutions that require one form or the other:

I’ve decided to (infinitive) next year.
I’m going to quit (gerund) next year.
I’m thinking about (gerund) next year.
I’m considering (gerund) next year.

Hopes
What are your hopes for the year ahead?  Do you hope to get a new job?  Do you hope to move to a different place?  What do you hope for in the lives of their family members and friends? 
For example:

I hope I get / I'll get  a raise next year. 
If I get a raise, I’ll be able to move to a new apartment.

Promises
Is your resolution a promise?
I'll study harder. 
I'll do my homework every day
 

Choose one of the following resolutions and make sentences. Complete the list with your own resolutions

No comments:

Post a Comment