Thursday, April 9, 2020

4th ESO. REWRITING


Rewrite the sentences below. Keep the meaning similar to the original sentences

PASSIVE:
1) They are going to rebuild the Town Hall.
2) Nobody could find the lost climber.
3) The police have arrested the thieves.
4) Jane gave me a present for my birthday.
5) They are building a new car park in the neighbourhood.
6) A professional photographer will take all my wedding photographs. 

7) Everybody should read this article carefully.
8) Someone stole Ann's purse in the underground. 
9) Jane sent Peter a thank-you letter.
10) They are going to revise the club's rules.
11) They gave John another opportunity.

12) They speak English in most hotels.

CONDITIONALS:

1) I didn't go to Helen's party because she didn't invite me.
2) Ann can't buy a new car because she hasn't got enough money.
3) She feels lonely since she hasn't got any friends
4) Jim missed the plane because he arrived late at the airport.
5) I don't have a modem, so I can't e-mail you.
6) I didn't send them a postcard because I didn't know their new address.
7) She isn't passing her exams because she isn't studying hard enough
8) I won't go to the party if you don't go with me.
9) The restaurant was full so we couldn't get a table.
10) I'm too busy to go to the pub.
11) Ice melts down when you heat it
12) The government won't win the elections unless they create employment. 


RELATIVE CLAUSES:

1) I bought a house. It was advertised in the local paper.
2) Mary works in our office. Her husband is a plastic surgeon.
3) I've just finished reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It is an amazing book.
4) That's the boy. I told you about him last night
5) They've sold the house. I wanted to buy it
6) Helen has just arrived. She had a car accident
7) They've sold the grocery. I used to go shopping there.
8) My sister has won a DVD player. Her children love watching films 

9) There's the lady. Her dog was killed
10) I have a friend. He's a wonderful skater
11) The boy broke the window. He ran away.
12) Robert Graves wrote I, Claudius. He used to live in Majorca


REPORTED SPEECH:

1)"I can't believe what you're saying," Paul told me
2) "I'm sorry to be late, but I missed the bus," she said
3) "I'll show you when I finish," he said.
4) "You must finish the report today," my boss told me.
5) "Did they enjoy the party?" she asked.
6) "Did you pass the exam?" I said to Joe.
7) "I'm doing my homework," the boy said.
8) "Did you enjoy the meal?" she said to me.
9) "Do you understand French?", she asked me
10) "We're meeting John next weekend," she said to me.
11) Have you finished the homework, Paul?" she said.
12) "What time did you arrive in London?" he asked.


TENSES: REWRITE THE SENTENCES USING THE WORDS IN BRACKETS 

1. I became ill during my visit to my grandmother. (while)
2. Martin never misses a football match. (always)
3. Sally is going to bake the cake at 2.30. (By 3 o’clock)
4. We started studying at 10 and finished at 12. (for)
5. The last time I saw Brian was three months ago. (for)
6. Jimmy hurt himself during a football match. (while)
7. How long have you known Sarah? (meet)
8. What’s your opinion about exams? (think)
9. What are his plans? (to)
10. Diana fell asleep at 10 o’clock. Her sister arrived home at midnight. (By the time)
11. The tickets aren’t very expensive. (cost) 
12-Patrick has worked here for many years. (started)

ANSWER KEY


PASSIVE:

  1. They are going to rebuild the Town Hall
The Town Hall is going to be rebuild.
  1. Nobody could find the lost climber.
The lost climbers could not be found.
  1. The police have arrested the thieves.
The thieves have been arrested.
  1. Jane gave me a present for my birthday.
I was given a present for my birthday by Jane.
  1. They are building a new car park in the neighbourhood.
A new car park is being built in the neighbourhood.
  1. A professional photographer will take all my wedding photographs.
My wedding photographs will be taken y a professional photographer.
  1. Everybody should read this article carefully.
This article should be read carefully.
  1. Someone stole Ann's purse in the underground.
Ann’s purse was stolen in the underground.
  1. Jane sent Peter a thank-you letter.
A thank-you letter was sent to Peter by Jane.
  1. They are going to revise the club's rules.
The club’s rules are going to be revised.
  1. They gave John another opportunity.
John was given another opportunity.
  1. They speak English in most hotels.
English is spoken in most hotels.

CONDITIONALS:

  1. I didn't go to Helen's party because she didn't invite me.
If Helen had invited me to her party, I would have gone.
  1. Ann can't buy a new car because she hasn't got enough money.
If Ann had enough money, she would buy a new car.
  1. She feels lonely since she hasn't got any friends
If she had friends, she wouldn’t feel lonely.
  1. Jim missed the plane because he arrived late at the airport.
If Jim hadn't arrived late the airport, he would not have missed the plane.
  1. I don't have a modem, so I can't e-mail you.
If I had a modem, I could e-mail you.
  1. I didn't send them a postcard because I didn't know their new address.
If I had known their new address, I would have sent them a postcard.
  1. She isn't passing her exams because she isn't studying hard enough
If she studied hard enough, she would pass her exams.
  1. I won't go to the party if you don't go with me.
If you don’t go with me, I won’t go to the party.
  1. The restaurant was full, so we couldn't get a table.
If the restaurant hadn't been full, we could have got a table.
  1. I'm too busy to go to the pub.
If I wasn’t busy, I would go to the pub
  1. Ice melts down when you heat it
If you heat the ice, it melts down.
  1. The government won't win the elections unless they create employment.
If the government don’t create jobs, they will not win the elections

RELATIVE CLAUSES:

  1. I bought a house. It was advertised in the local paper.
I bought a house which was advertised in the local paper.
  1. Mary works in our office. Her husband is a plastic surgeon.
Mary, whose husband is a plastic surgeon, works in our office.
  1. I've just finished reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It is an amazing book.
I’ve just finished reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, which is an amazing book.
  1. That's the boy. I told you about him last night
That’s the boy who I told you about last night.
  1. They've sold the house. I wanted to buy it
They’ve sold the house that I wanted to buy.
  1. Helen has just arrived. She had a car accident
Helen, who had a car accident, has just arrived.
Helen, who has just arrived, had a car accident.
  1. They've sold the grocery. I used to go shopping there.
They’ve sold the grocery where I used to go shopping.
  1. My sister has won a DVD player. Her children love watching films
My sister, whose children love watching films, has won a DVD player.
  1. There's the lady. Her dog was killed
There’s the lady whose dog was killed.
  1. I have a friend. He's a wonderful skater
I have a friend who is a wonderful skater.
  1. The boy broke the window. He ran away.
The boy that broke the window ran away..
  1. Robert Graves wrote I, Claudius. He used to live in Majorca
Robert Graves, who used to live in Majorca, wrote I, Claudius.
Rober graves, who wrote I, Claudius, used to live in Majorca.

REPORTED SPEECH:

1)"I can't believe what you're saying," Paul told me
Paul told me that he couldn’t believe what I was saying.
2) "I'm sorry to be late, but I missed the bus," she said
She said that she was sorry to be late because she had missed the bus.
3) "I'll show you when I finish," he said.
He said that he would show me when he finished.
4) "You must finish the report today," my boss told me.
My boss told me that I had to finish the report hat day.
5) "Did they enjoy the party?" she asked.
She asked if they had enjoyed the party.
6) "Did you pass the exam?" I said to Joe.
I said to Joe if he had passed the exam.
7) "I'm doing my homework," the boy said
He said that he was doing his homework
8) "Did you enjoy the meal?" she said to me.
She asked me if I had enjoyed the meal.
9) "Do you understand French?", she asked me
She asked me if I understood French.
10) "We're meeting John next weekend," she said to me.
She told me that we were meeting John the next weekend
11) Have you finished the homework, Paul?" she said.
She asked Paul if he had finished the homework.
  1. "What time did you arrive in London?" he asked.
He asked what time I had arrived in London.

TENSES: REWRITE THE SENTENCES USING THE WORDS IN BRACKETS

  1. I became ill during my visit to my grandmother. (while)
I became ill while I was visiting my grandmother.
  1. Martin never misses a football match. (always)
Martin always goes to football matches.
  1. Sally is going to bake the cake at 2.30. (By 3 o’clock)
By 3 o’clock Sally will have baked the cake 
  1. We started studying at 10 and finished at 12. (for)
We have been studying for 2 hours.
  1. The last time I saw Brian was three months ago. (for)
I haven’t seen Brian for three months.
  1. Jimmy hurt himself during a football match. (while)
Jimmy hurt himself while he was playing football.
  1. How long have you known Sarah? (meet)
When did you meet Sarah?
  1. What’s your opinion about exams? (think)
What do you think about exams?
  1. What are his plans) (he)
What is he going to do?
  1. Diana fell asleep at 10 o’clock. Her sister arrived home at midnight. (By the time)
By the time her sister arrived home at midnight, Diana had fallen asleep.
  1. The tickets aren’t very expensive. (cost)
The tickets don't cost a lot.
12-Patrick has worked here for many years. (started)
Patrick started working here many years ago.

GRAMMAR: TENSES
Complete the following sentences with any suitable tense:

  1. I wanted to visit you yesterday, but you were not at home. (to want) (be, not)
  2. Look! Sara is going to the movies.
  3. The teacher will probably assign a test to his students next Monday.
  4. By 9 o'clock, we will have finished our homework.
  5. I (drive) have been driving for two months now.
  6. It is already 9:30 PM and I (wait) have been waiting here for over an hour. If John does not (get) get here in the next five minutes, I am going to leave.
  7. I (be) was really angry at John yesterday. By the time he finally arrived, I (wait) had been waiting for over an hour. I almost left without him.
  8. Did you (hear) hear that Ben was fired last month? He (work) __had worked_______ for that import company for more than ten years and he (work) _______had worked______________ in almost every department. Nobody knew the company like he did.
  9. Wait a minute, I 'll carry this box for you. (to carry)
  10. I (see) ___had seen many pictures of the pyramids before I went to Egypt. Pictures of the monuments are very misleading. The pyramids are actually quite small.
  11. Sarah (climb) _has climbed ______________ the Matterhorn, (sail) ______sailed _____ around the world, and (go) _______been ______ on safari in Kenya. She is such an adventurous person.
  12. Look! It _______is raining______, so we can't go to the beach. (to rain)
  13. Sarah (climb) ________had climbed ______ the Matterhorn, (sail) _______sailed___ around the world and (go) _________been __ on safari in Kenya by the time she turned twenty-five. She (experience) ________had experienced _______ more by that age than most people do in their entire lives.
  14. (they / spend) _____Did they spend__________ their holidays in Paris last summer?
  15. When Melanie came into the office yesterday, her eyes (be) _____were_______ red and watery. I think she (cry) ________had been crying___________.
  16. By the time we get to Chicago this evening, we (drive) will have driven_____________ more than four hundred miles. We are going to be exhausted.
  17. At 6 o'clock on next Friday they (sing) __will be singing_______________ the new song.
  18. When he (wake up) ______woke up________ yesterday , his mother (already /prepare) ________had already prepared__________ breakfast
  19. When Sarah goes on vacation next month, she (study) ______will have studied____________ German for over two years. She should be able to communicate fairly well while she is in Austria.
  20. (you / ever / see ) ____Have you ever seen _______________ a whale?
  21. I have not travelled much yet; however, I (visit) ________will have visited __________ the Grand Canyon and San Francisco by the time I leave the United States.
  22. I (finish) ________will have finished__________ it by the end of this month.
  23. By the time you finish studying the verb tense tutorial, you (master) ___________will have mastered _______ all twelve tenses including their passive forms.
  24. I (just / finish) ________have just finished ____________ my homework.
  25. Drive faster! If you don't hurry up, she (have) _________will have had _________ the baby by the time we get to the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment