Sunday, May 4, 2014

Present Perfect

FORM:

AFFIRMATIVE
NEGATIVE
INTERROGATIVE
I have lived  in Spain
 (I’ve lived in Spain)

You have seen Peter
He/She/It has drunk water
He’s lived in Spain.
She’s seen Peter
It’s been hard.
I have not lived in France
(I haven’t lived in France)

You haven’t seen Peter
He has not drunk water.
She hasn’t lived in Spain.
It hasn’t been hard.
Have I lived in Spain?
Have I not lived in Spain?
Haven’t I lived in Spain?
Have you seen Peter?
Has he drunk water?
Hasn’t she lived in Spain?
Has it not been hard?
 

 USE:
- To talk about experiences. It is important if we have done it in our lives or not. It is not important when we did it.
       I have travelled to the USA three times.
       Henry has never written an email.

       Have you ever eaten snails?
    Tip! We often use never and ever with the Present Perfect Tense to talk about experience.

 -To talk about an action which started in the past and continuous up to now.

       I have studied English for more than eight years.
       We haven't seen John since Sunday.
       How long have you been here?


    Tip! We often use since and for to say how long the action has lasted.

 - To talk about a past action that has the result in the present.  Examples
       I have lost my English book.  I don't have it now.
       Alex has gone to the library.  He isn't here now.
       Have you done your homework?  Is your homework ready?

    Tip! We often use just, already and yet with the Present Perfect Tense for an action in the past with the result in the present.
       He has just made coffee. It's still hot
       He has already made coffee. You don't have to do it.
       He hasn't made coffee yet. Let's make some.
       Has he made coffee yet? Is coffee ready?


EXERCISES

Exercise 1. Statements
Exercise 2. Statements
Exercise 3. Negation
Exercise 4. Negations
Exercise 5. Questions
Exercise 6. Questions
Exercise 7: Present Perfect with already and yet



No comments:

Post a Comment