Thursday, May 22, 2014

Relative Clauses. Grammar


RELATIVE CLAUSES

 DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES
FUNCTION
PEOPLE
THINGS/ANIMALS
Subject
1 who/that
5 that/which
Object
2 (whom/who/that)
6 (which/that)
preposition
3 (who/that) ….preposition
7 (which/that)…..preposition
Possessive
4 whose
8 whose
9. PLACE --> WHERE I know a place where you can buy anything for €2 .  (adverb)
10. TIME -->WHEN There was a time when people didn’t use computers. (adverb)

1. This is the girl. She is waiting for you---- This is the girl who is waiting for you
2. This is the girl. I met her last summer---- This is the girl (who/whom/that) I met last summer
3. This is the man. I live with the man---- This is the man (who/that) I live with
4. I can’t see the woman. We found her glasses.—I can’t see the woman whose glasses we found
4. I can’t see the woman. Her son died yesterday---I can’t see the woman whose son died yesterday
5. This is the dog. The dog attacked me---- This is the dog which/that attacked me
6. That is the house. We bought it yesterday—That is the house (which/that) we bought yesterday
7. That is the bus. We are waiting for it. --- That is the bus (which/that) we are waiting for.
8. We saw a wolf. Its teeth were very long. We saw a wolf whose teeth were very long
9. They went to a castle. They found a ghost there. They went to a castle where they found a ghost
10. They took the exam a day. It rained a lot then. They took the exam a day when it rained a lot

NOTE: 3. This is the man with whom I live. 7. That is the bus for which we are waiting (formal)

NON-DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES
FUNCTION
PEOPLE
THINGS/ANIMALS
Subject
1 who
5 which
Object
2 whom/who
6 which
preposition
3 who ….preposition
7 which…..preposition
Possessive
4 whose
8 whose
9. PLACE --> WHERE I've decided to go to that shop, where you can buy anything for €2 .
10. TIME --> WHEN I started studying in 1979, when people didn’t use computers.

This is Mr. Jones, who writes horror stories.
I can see that old house, which was built in 1876.
I passed him a large glass of water, which he drank immediately.
Mary’s brother, who is sitting next to Olivia, has won the competition.
The Lord of the Rings, which was written long time ago, has been made a film.
The small man in the coat, whom nobody recognized, turned out to be her husband.
We’re having the party at Maxim’s, where parties are great fun.

11. When a relative pronoun refers to the whole action we use WHICH
Everybody came to my party, which was a great surprise.

Exercises 

No comments:

Post a Comment