Thursday, October 16, 2014

Present Perfect Simple VS Present Perfect Continuous





We use the present perfect to talk about things where there is a connection between the past and the present.



PRESENT PERFECT SIMPLE
PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS
She’s written 6 books
She started writing books at some time in the past. So far, she has written 6 books. She may write more books.
(Emphasis: How much )

I’ve painted the walls white.
(finished action, we can see the result)

I’ve read that book you lent me. I finished it yesterday. (it gives the idea of completion)

I’ve worked here for thirty years.
(permanent)
She’s been writing for hours
She started writing at some time in the past and is still writing.

(Emphasis: how long)

I’ve been decorating the house this summer. (unfinished action)  

I’ve been reading that book you lent me. I’ve got another 50 pages to read. (unfinished)
I usually work in London but I’ve been working in Birmingham for the last 3 weeks. (temporary)



NEVER use the Present Perfect Continuous with Stative Verbs

 ACTIVITIES

No comments:

Post a Comment